Popular Posts

Monday, August 19, 2013

# 042 Love, Happiness, India & World


LOVE

Dada: Every morning when I wake up, I feel as if it is my birthday. I often pray, “If this be my last day, He should so bless me that I may give my love to all.” This is the deepest aspiration of my heart. There are three kinds of love. The first type is when you say, ‘I have fallen in love’. This type of love is known as ‘Eros’. It makes you full of lust. The second type of love is conditional love — that is, because ‘you love me — I love you’. Then there is the third type of love, it is unconditional, universal love. It is divine. The catch phrase here is ‘in spite of’ everything I love you’. It is authentic love. I wish I had packets of ‘agape’ love, I would distribute to all of you.

Aamir: If a sinner comes to you, how do you receive him?
Dada: True love does not distinguish between sinner and saint. I see the image of my master in everyone who comes to me. I bow down to everyone who comes to meet me. All become images of my master.

Aamir: What if you love someone but she refuses to receive it?
Dada: Give love, love and love — till it hurts. And you must help others as much as you can, as often as you can, and on as many occasions as you can. 

HAPPINESS

Aamir: What does happiness mean to you? How can we become happier?
Dalai Lama: Happiness does not mean enjoyable experience. Happiness depends on hope and on mind control. Hope brings optimism. It makes the mind positive. Peace of mind is happiness; a distressed mind causes misery and unhappiness. Go to the cause. The cause is multiple, unrealistic desires. Desires cause worry and distress. Fewer desires mean less distress. Mind control and self-discipline are necessary for peace of mind. Today, scientists believe that physical wellbeing also depends on mind. You need more knowledge of inner emotions. Intelligence and education do not make you happy. Many educated people are unhappy. Physical comforts do not make you happy. Go to the source of happiness. Happiness comes from love and compassion.

There are two sources of finding happiness. One is the home and the other, educational institutions. In schools and colleges, introduce ethical values of kindness and compassion. At home, the mother should practise compassion and kindness. When a mother scolds or abuses the child, the child grows up with fear. Love is not only an emotion. Love is action. Love evokes compassion. It evokes kindness. Love gives rise to many more emotions like being helpful and reducing the misery around. Love gives us higher goals, and greater vision. Spiritual organisations should take up service to humanity. That is true love.

Aamir: I learnt about happiness from a villager, he said to me, ‘Happiness is something that you get when you give’. Can you guess who that is? He is Anna Hazare! 
I used to play tennis and was really good at it. Every time I returned home from a game, my mother would ask, “Did you win or did you lose?” Each time I said I won, she would hug me. But after a few minutes, she would say, “The boy who lost the game must have reached home by this time. His mother, too, must have asked him the same question. She must be feeling sad.” Thinking about the other person is what my mother always did. It is compassion towards other people that makes me what I am. 

INDIA

Aamir: India is the largest democracy in the world. The elections are to be held in 2014, what would you like to say to the citizens of India?
Dada: It is sad that people have driven God out of their lives. Bring back God in your home, in your hearts. Feel that God is watching you and your actions. Secularism does not mean that you become a nonbeliever. Secularism does not mean that you throw God out of your heart, home and education. Please bring back God into your life. Give the Supreme Being a place in your heart

Aamir: Your Holiness, would you like to say something?
Dalai Lama: When I talk of India, I talk of ahimsa. Ahimsa is compassion and love. 
All these religions have survived because we have a spirit of oneness and tolerance. We have different religions but we live in harmony. Secularism is not denial of religion; secularism means respect for all religions. Secular ethics should be taught in educational institutions. 

WORLD

Aamir: Is there something special you would like to say to the people here? 
Dalai Lama: The world needs oneness. One world, one humanity. Oneness will solve our problems. Soon we will be more than seven billion people on earth. It would put a strain on our natural resources. Water is already becoming scarce. These problems can be solved through oneness.

Pune - August 2, Dada J P Vaswani’s 95th birthday. Extracted from an article by Aruna Jethwani in Speaking Tree.


No comments:

Post a Comment